Help me understand music works that doesn’t have words or actions
- Hum the songs I know to me; do I still recognise them?
- Now play me instrumental versions of the same songs (you can download them from the internet)
- Then play me instrumental pieces that have a lot of simple repetition like ‘Eye level’, the ‘Can Can’ and ‘Bolero’
- See if I like ‘minimalist’ music by composers such as Philip Glass, Steve Reich and Terry Riley (downloaded from the internet)*
- Now try longer pieces that use the similar musical ideas over and over again (by composers like Vivaldi)*
- Try more complicated pieces that use similar phrases over and over again mixed in with other ideas, like ‘Mars’ from ‘The Planets’*
*(with help from a musical friend if needed)